pcplantdb - Re: [pcplantdb] Project Architecture time

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: John Schinnerer <john@eco-living.net>
  • To: Permaculture Plant Database <pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [pcplantdb] Project Architecture time
  • Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2005 21:27:32 +0000

Aloha,

Yes they can be different. But a client will need some idea of the XML being produced.

Exactly...the client needs our XML DTD to understand the markup returned.

However, the markup returned has no necessary connection with or relation to the API function that returns the marked-up data.

I'm strongly in favor of the latter as it gives the client the most flexability for extracting the data items it needs.

Yeah, that would be the whole point of using XML as data transport.
Keep separation of content and presentation.

XML markup in returned data tells client "what" content is.

Client decides "how" to present that kind of content.

I do not think we need to get the DTD fully worked out yet, although
I do have a few ideas floating about in the thing called my brain.
I can try and access it if the group so desires.

Go for it, we do need to start creating our XML so we can start using it and thereby refining it...

cheers,