pcplantdb - Re: [pcplantdb] Project Architecture time

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: Bear K <bear@ursine-design.com>
  • To: Permaculture Plant Database <pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [pcplantdb] Project Architecture time
  • Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2005 17:01:24 -0800

Yes they can be different. But a client will need some idea of the XML being produced. Theres really two sort of markup presentation based markup like xhtml
<h1>Salix Alba</h1>
and semantic based markups
<LatinName>Salix Alba</LatinName>

I'm strongly in favor of the latter as it gives the client the most flexability for extracting the data items it needs.
One vote here for the latter as well. The first is more about presentation then content, that's a client side issue. We could pass the latter through XSLT to get the former for some HTML clients...

I do not think we need to get the DTD fully worked out yet, although
I do have a few ideas floating about in the thing called my brain.
I can try and access it if the group so desires.
I'd like to see. I think these discussions also tie into any schema changes if needed, etc. I've also pasted some text from an OWL ontology (OWL is built on top of RDF). Nice thing there is you can also define the relationships between the data. With plants being the basic objects, relationships aren't hugely important, but if we plan to move on to broader subjects, microfuana, etc, they'd start to come in handy. It's also nice that you can layer definitions on top of each other, not sure if DTD does this.

Cheers,
Bear Kaufmann
www.ursine-design.com

---------
<rdf:RDF
xmlns:rdfs="http://www.w3.org/2000/01/rdf-schema#";
xmlns:rdf="http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#";
xmlns:owl="http://www.w3.org/2002/07/owl#";
xmlns="http://www.mindswap.org/2003/vegetarian.owl#";
xmlns:un="http://www.ksl.stanford.edu/projects/DAML/UNSPSC.daml#";

<owl:Class rdf:ID="Omnivore"/>

<owl:Class rdf:ID="Vegetarian">
<rdfs:subClassOf rdf:resource="http://www.isi.edu/webscripter/person.o.daml#Person"/>
<rdfs:subClassOf rdf:resource="http://xmlns.com/foaf/0.1/Person"/>
<rdfs:subClassOf>
<owl:Restriction>
<owl:onProperty rdf:resource="#eats"/>
<owl:allValuesFrom rdf:resource="#VegetarianFood"/>
</owl:Restriction>
</rdfs:subClassOf>
<rdfs:subClassOf rdf:resource="http://xmlns.com/foaf/0.1/#Person"/>
</owl:Class>

<owl:Class rdf:ID="Vegan">
<rdfs:subClassOf rdf:resource="#Vegetarian"/>
<rdfs:subClassOf>
<owl:Restriction>
<owl:onProperty rdf:resource="#eats"/>
<owl:allValuesFrom rdf:resource="#VeganFood"/>
</owl:Restriction>
</rdfs:subClassOf>
</owl:Class>

<owl:Class rdf:ID="Ovo-LactoVegetarian">
<rdfs:subClassOf rdf:resource="#Vegetarian"/>
<rdfs:subClassOf>
<owl:Restriction>
<owl:onProperty rdf:resource="#eats"/>
<owl:allValuesFrom rdf:resource="#OvoLactoVegetarianFood"/>
</owl:Restriction>
</rdfs:subClassOf>
</owl:Class>

[snip]

<owl:ObjectProperty rdf:ID="eats">
<rdfs:domain rdf:resource="#Vegetarian"/>
</owl:ObjectProperty>

<owl:Class rdf:ID="VegetarianFood">
<rdfs:subClassOf>
<owl:Class>
<owl:intersectionOf rdf:parseType="Collection">
<owl:Class>
<rdfs:subClassOf rdf:resource="http://www.ksl.stanford.edu/projects/DAML/ UNSPSC.daml#Food-Beverage-and-Tobacco-Products"/>
</owl:Class>
<owl:Class>
<owl:complementOf>
<owl:Class>
<rdfs:subClassOf
rdf:resource="#Meat"/>
</owl:Class>
</owl:complementOf>
</owl:Class>
</owl:intersectionOf>
</owl:Class>
</rdfs:subClassOf>
</owl:Class>

<owl:Class rdf:ID="VeganFood">
<rdfs:subClassOf>
<owl:Class>
<owl:intersectionOf rdf:parseType="Collection">
<owl:Class>
<owl:equivalentClass rdf:resource="http://www.ksl.stanford.edu/projects/DAML/ UNSPSC.daml#Food-Beverage-and-Tobacco-Products"/>
</owl:Class>
<owl:Class>
<owl:complementOf>
<owl:Class>
<owl:unionOf
rdf:parseType="Collection">
<owl:Class><rdfs:subClassOf
rdf:resource="#Meat"/></owl:Class>
<owl:Class><rdfs:subClassOf rdf:resource="http://www.ksl.stanford.edu/projects/DAML/ UNSPSC.daml#Dairy-products-and-eggs"/></owl:Class>
</owl:unionOf>
</owl:Class>
</owl:complementOf>
</owl:Class>
</owl:intersectionOf>
</owl:Class>
</rdfs:subClassOf>
</owl:Class>

<owl:Class rdf:ID="OvoLactoVegetarianFood">
<owl:equivalentClass rdf:resource="#VegetarianFood"/>
</owl:Class>

[snip]

<owl:Class rdf:ID="Meat">
<rdfs:label> Meat, including seafood</rdfs:label>
<owl:unionOf rdf:parseType="Collection">
<owl:Class rdf:about="http://www.ksl.stanford.edu/projects/DAML/UNSPSC.daml#Meat"/ >
<owl:Class rdf:about="http://www.ksl.stanford.edu/projects/DAML/ UNSPSC.daml#Seafood"/>
</owl:unionOf>
</owl:Class>