pcplantdb - Re: [pcplantdb] Quite

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: Bear K <bear@ursine-design.com>
  • To: Permaculture Plant Database <pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [pcplantdb] Quite
  • Date: Sat, 8 Jan 2005 14:23:12 -0800

Howdy all,

Don't worry, I'm still around. :-)
A couple of things on the front-end (web) front...
Chad, would it be possible to wrap the plant descriptions in a few more tags? It would be nice to be able to format it a bit more. I suppose I should write a mockup for you. For the results something like:
<ul class="plant">
<li class="common">Dandelion</li>
<li class="description">
</li>
</ul>
<ul class="plant">
</ul>

It would really allow a lot more flexibility on how things get displayed.
Something similar for the plant description. As Richard mentioned, maybe when we're up to it, output as XML, and run it through XSLT to get the markup above.

Also, on tags like the plant uses, should we perhaps use a (tooltip-like) popup to hold the description, instead of a link to a new page? There are some pure CSS methods, and a few javascript methods as well to accomplish this. Could we also use anchors for the references [13]? Maybe there's a regex-pression that can find brackets (find left bracket, replace with [<a href="#, add [0-9] up to right bracket, add ">", add [0-9] up to right bracket, replace right bracket with </a>] )...thats using 2 instances of the text between the brackets, not sure if regex can do that...
I'm assuming we need that because the references are part of a SQL text field, and not dynamically generated.

In other news, I've looked at TouchGraph some more, and it does look very nice. I'm not a Java programmer, I've tried to import the source into Apple's Project Builder, but I can't seem to get the directory structure set up right to compile. Java seems readable, and I _may_ be able to tweak things well enough to be useful, if I can get this thing set up correctly. I wonder what relationship data we can draw from the database as it's currently set up.

Lastly, I got a response from ibiblio, they say I should log in using "pyg" and "change2me", doesn't seem quite right...

Cheers from the rainy coast,
Bear