pcplantdb - Re: [pcplantdb] Quite

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: Richard Morris <webmaster@pfaf.org>
  • To: Permaculture Plant Database <pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [pcplantdb] Quite
  • Date: Thu, 06 Jan 2005 10:17:00 +0000

Chad Knepp wrote:
Adding users is proving to be a little more complicated than I
expected, but that is what I have been working on. Most of the
problem is that apache doesn't provide a cgi hook to http basic
authentication and we need more flexibility than basic auth on its
own. I was hoping to have a release with users and comments ready by
the time Stephanie got back, but that's only two days from now and I'm
mighty distracted by a nine week old ball of black and white energy in
the form of a Border Collie that entered my life this year.

There seems to be two ways to to do logins.
1) using http basic auth. Seems like this causes a special popup window to appear where users can put in login details.
2) Just use a user name/password form, do our own login verification setting cookies and such like.

I noticed something in php manual about former yesterday

The HTTP Authentication hooks in PHP are only available when it is running as an Apache module and is hence not available in the CGI version. In an Apache module PHP script, it is possible to use the header() function to send an "Authentication Required" message to the client browser causing it to pop up a Username/Password input window. Once the user has filled in a username and a password, the URL containing the PHP script will be called again with the variables, $PHP_AUTH_USER, $PHP_AUTH_PW and $PHP_AUTH_TYPE set to the user name, password and authentication type respectively. Only "Basic" authentication is supported at this point. See the header() function for more information.

Generally I think I'd prefer the latter. Its more what people are used to. Are their any standard python libraries for this sort of stuff?

Don't really know much about this stuff. For comments on pfaf site
I've never bothered with logins at all, i.e. anyone can add a comment.
As this does not destroy data its OK in my book.

Hope thats of some help