pcplantdb - Re: [pcplantdb] Quite

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: Richard Morris <webmaster@pfaf.org>
  • To: Permaculture Plant Database <pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [pcplantdb] Quite
  • Date: Thu, 06 Jan 2005 19:53:44 +0000

Chad Knepp wrote:

Yeah, I think we need more than basic auth. Currently I'm using the
login module of Jalopy
<http://www.voidspace.org.uk/python/jalopy.html> as an example. I'm
not happy with it on it's own because I want more control over the
cookie and it has a lot of features we don't need. I think the
greatest threat of abuse is from message board spammers, which I think
we can avoid by not having completely automatic account generation. I
think/hope that emailing a confirmation link will be a sufficient
deterrent. Until a full release, accounts will probably be manually
generated.

Yep spammers are a problem, but not that bad a problem. Its a fairly easy matter for for an admin to delete obvious spammers. On the pfaf site have had things configured so the I get sent an email with
the content of each added comment. I'd like to add an accept/reject feature so that that all I need to do is reply to the email
and it will be removed from the board. Not too much work as submision rates have been faily low 1 or 2 a day.

> Don't really know much about this stuff. For comments on pfaf site
> I've never bothered with logins at all, i.e. anyone can add a comment.
> As this does not destroy data its OK in my book.

The implementation I have in mind will not allow deletes over anything
but your own material.

Good. Will users be able to add whole new plant records?

Plants for a Future: 7000 useful plants
Tel: 01208 872 963 / 0845 458 4719
Email: webmaster@pfaf.org