pcplantdb - Re: [pcplantdb] tech list + webspace for pcplantdb

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lfl@intrex.net>
  • To: john@eco-living.net, pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [pcplantdb] tech list + webspace for pcplantdb
  • Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2004 12:45:18 -0700

John Schinnerer wrote:

The few o-s projects I've been on lists, the most general/generic list
name is the most public list, e.g. pcplantdb in our case. More specific
lists get the hyphen treatment and a specifier, as in pcplantdb-dev,
pcplantdb-data, and so on.
Can the archives from this list be bumped over somehow to pcplantdb-dev?

No. Nor can this list be renamed, have to start a new one. But I can create a
Hypermail archive
for all the messages in this list's archive, create a new list pcplantdb-dev and
"link" the Hypermail
archive to it, i.e. add message footer info reflecting URL for old messages
along with default one for new archive.
This might be the best way to go so folks will have a taste of dev efforts
without having to read about it in
list traffic plus they will have a history of the project in the archives.

So, unless I hear otherwise I will request pcplantdb-dev for the new tech
forum.

Otherwise I would prefer something other than '-public', like '-general'
or '-users' or similar.

Also:

Shall I go forward with creation of webspace on ibiblio for the pcplantdb
website,
i.e. http://www,ibiblio.org/pcplantdb? I could set up a pcplantdb wiki here if you all prefer that to the wikispace Rich has created in the pcwiki. If I can get PMWiki installed we will have passworded logins and secure file uploads. I assume you can use Zope on a remote system and link to HG's temporary ibiblio webspace (until you get an official .org or .net domain to host on ibiblio).
Group permissions can be created for all those needing access to that filesystem; for starters Richard and I can be included with others (JS & JH & Chad to follow when they get their ibiblio content provider accounts [you all will need to email the ibilio staff at either help@ibiblio.org and/or info@ibiblio.org, preferably the former ID, to get this done].