nafex - Re: [nafex] tasty perennial Physalis

  • From: "Michele Stanton" <6ducks@gmail.com>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] tasty perennial Physalis
  • Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2014 21:07:13 -0400

Devin,
What kind of climate are you gardening in?
I've eaten physalis spp. before, but this year am growing my first crop,
Baker Creek Heirloom Seed's 'Ground Cherry'. No ripe fruit yet, but what
fruit I have doesn't look any bigger than 1/2". And the bugs are
ferocious-- flea beetles perhaps.
Baker doesn't give the species name for these, but I'd guess they're
perennials in warmer zones.
At any rate, I'd love to experiment with some that might be perennial in a
zone 6. We have native Physalis here, why not larger-fruited ones, too?

Thanks
Michele in SW Ohio