nafex - Re: [nafex] Winter grafting Asian persimmon

  • From: "Dr. Lucky Pittman" <lpittman@murraystate.edu>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Winter grafting Asian persimmon
  • Date: Mon, 23 Dec 2013 11:14:28 -0600

I have an older friend who's related following her grandfather grafting
apples - he'd bind the graft with cotton string, then slather on a thick
layer of fresh, 'loose' cow manure.

I've certainly stepped in many a patty - within a day or so, there's a nice
firm crust, but once you 'break the surface', it's nice and moist. Our old
buddy, the late Dr. Bill Lisenby (some of the more seasoned list members may
recall Lngdstshtr), opined that the acidic pH and bacterial microflora of
cow manure may also help to diminish the likelihood of mold growth.
Have always intended to give it a try - and certainly, with rapid-callusing
materials, like apples/pears, it might work just fine. But Parafilm is a
lot less messy to work with.

I do like the smell of fresh cow manure.

Lucky