nafex - [nafex] Winter grafting Early

  • From: R F Hollaus <hollaus@comcast.net>
  • Subject: [nafex] Winter grafting Early
  • Date: Fri, 27 Dec 2013 10:24:39 +0000 (UTC)

Jerry,

That's an interesting theory if grafting will work now or not. It is true
that one object be the graft seal protects as a "seal in" of moisture.
Another object is to keep "disease out".

Plant disease can still be contained within. Given the longer period the
time the plant is dormant (seems to me) is giving disease the leg up if the
storing of the graft or scions are bacterial friendly. (example: plant
dormant and scion ends mashed from cut, gravy food for bacteria)

My understanding from teachers in the field of grafting is optimal
conditions storing many scions are "28-30F". Or in another case that above
34F is more dangerous (reliability goes way down) for other things like
sweet cherry.

Many including I have had problems in sweet cherry grafting.

Might an accurate temperature for storing (uncertain) plant woody material
be one we should be concerned about? Or why and your opinion of if slightly
contaminated material is of consequence?

Rupert Hollaus.