nafex - Re: [nafex] re acorns, history, mice and Lyme

  • From: "Dr. Lucky Pittman" <lpittman@murraystate.edu>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] re acorns, history, mice and Lyme
  • Date: Mon, 23 Dec 2013 11:30:32 -0600

Red/black oaks do take two years to mature an acorn crop.
So... acorns dropped in fall 2013 are from female flowers pollenized in
spring 2012.

Western tribes, like Paiute/Yosemite, used Q.kelloggi, a red/black oak,
extensively. I get the impression that the red/black oak acorns stored
better than those of the white oak group. They even built granaries for
long-term storage of acorns.

For an interesting, informative, and historical/cultural overview, get your
hands on a copy of "It Will Live Forever: Traditional Yosemite Indian Acorn
Preparation", by Bev Ortiz, with Julia Parker.
Another one, "Acorns & Eat 'em", by Suellen Ocean, has lots of acorn
recipes.

Lucky