nafex - Re: [nafex] Winter grafting Asian persimmon

  • From: Jwlehman@aol.com
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Winter grafting Asian persimmon
  • Date: Wed, 25 Dec 2013 22:16:21 -0500 (EST)

In a message dated 12/25/2013 5:15:24 PM Eastern Standard Time,
alexis@conev.org writes:

> I think it depends on whether the tree is fully dormant or still active.
> If it is fully dormant, no way.

Hello Alexis,

I can't agree. How about cleft grafting that is done during dormancy which
is completely covered with grafting wax?

Scions are stored in the refrigerator in plastic bags to prevent
dehydration. By completely covering the scion and understock where the graft
is done
the scion remains dormant and undehydrated as should the cambium on the
understock. Yes, grafting now is risky but I fully believe if done properly
it
will work. But I can't speak from experience as I've never done it. This is
theory.

I don't know about the grafting tape as I've never used it. But Parafilm
when stretched doubling it's length and wrapped with overlapping layers seals
to itself and forms a solid covering. There are no cracks where moisture can
escape. That would be the first requirement, no dehydration.

Jerry