nafex - Re: [NAFEX] NAFEX question - Very sorry to see NAFEX in present stae.

  • From: "Dr. Chiranjit Parmar" <parmarch_mnd@dataone.in>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] NAFEX question - Very sorry to see NAFEX in present stae.
  • Date: Sat, 17 Dec 2011 08:50:18 +0530

Dear all,

I have been associated with NAFEX for over two decades. I was told about this organization by one English fruit breeder at EUCARPIA meeting in Czechoslovakia (at that time it was one) in 1986. After hearing my lecture on Himalayan wild fruits (first in any international gathering) he advised me to join NAFEX as he felt my work related more to the NAFEX aims and objectives. He also sent me an old copy of POMONA. I joined NAFEX, wrote a few articles in POMONA on some Himalayan wild fruits which evoked a lot of interest and I received hundreds of handwritten letters from the readers. I am still retaining those and treat them as one of the best testimonials of my work.

In 2004 I also attended the NAFEX Annual Conference at Columbia, Missouri, and was greatly excited to meet many persons who had been corresponding with me.

I could note that decline had set in in this wonderful organization. I also made a few suggestions at the Board of Directors Meeting which were not taken positively by all members.

I feel that the cause of decline has been the RIGID and ORTHODOX attitude of the members. World is now not limited to North America. It has extended much beyond that after internet and other modern means of communications. Fruit exploration work now should be at GLOBAL level and not restricted to North America as is thought by the senior founding members. We must change and keep pace with time in matters of modernatity otherwise we shall lag behind and will gradually perish. That is what has happened to NAFEX.

I really feel sorry for the state of NAFEX. But it can be revived if members change their outlook.

I feel personally indebted to NAFEX as it was because of NAFEX I started getting international exposure about my work. Therefore I would like to do something for this ONE TIME wonderful organization. I had made a few suggestions also but the top brass did not like it.

Dr. Chiranjit Parmar
186/3 Jail Road
Mandi HP 175001, India
01905-222810; 094181-81323