nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Mulch/Landscapic fabric underneath fruit/nut trees and shrubs

  • From: "Erdman, James" <erdmanj@uwstout.edu>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Mulch/Landscapic fabric underneath fruit/nut trees and shrubs
  • Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2011 14:15:35 +0000

I have found that landscaping fabric covered with wood chips, straw, grass,
or other organic material is fine for a short time, but in the long run, the
organic material decomposes and becomes another layer of soil which supports
a good crop of weeds, but these weeds have there roots entangled in the
fabric and are harder to pull. I would recommend the thicker layer of wood
chips, with NO fabric.

Jim Erdman, in Menomonie, WI

Should I:
B. Use non-woven landscaping fabric and just cover it with a thin layer of
cedar wood chips (untreated), partially for aesthetic purposes.
If I go with the non-woven landscaping fabric, would 2.8 oz be good-enough,
or do I need 4 oz non-woven; or 3 oz./5 oz. woven?