nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Mulch/Landscape fabric underneath fruit/nut trees and shrubs

  • From: "Idell Weydemeyer" <iwgarden@earthlink.net>
  • To: "'North American Fruit Explorers'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Mulch/Landscape fabric underneath fruit/nut trees and shrubs
  • Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2011 19:02:55 -0800

Some of the choice depends upon your climate and the weather. I have to
leave the earth around my citrus trees bare so they will soak up extra heat
in the summer and help keep the frost off in the winter (the black soil
soaks up and releases heat). Chips cool the soil so I do not use them on the
grape and fig areas-- they too need the heat for ripening. If you are in a
hot area, cooling the soil is great but I live in an area overlooking the
San Francisco Bay with cool summers.

Also, I keep some areas bare so the native bees can nest--they cannot get
through chips so well. They are important pollinator for my fruit (and the
native plants to form fruit and seeds) since they will fly in the cool and
rain below 50 degrees-- honey bees do not.

Landscape fabric makes it harder for me to pull up tough rooted weeds so I
do not use it-- and the gophers like to do runs under it.

Idell Weydemeyer
Zone 9, coolish summers( generally in the 70s range--some 90s, some 65s),
rainy (25 inches in 4-6 months, none the rest of the year) but relatively
warm winters-- rarely below 25 degrees.