nafex - [NAFEX] Mulch/Landscapic fabric underneath fruit/nut trees and shrubs

  • From: Steven Covacci <filtertitle@aol.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Mulch/Landscapic fabric underneath fruit/nut trees and shrubs
  • Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2011 20:52:33 -0500 (EST)

Group:
Mulch and Landscaping fabric underneath fruit/nut trees and shrubs greatly
promotes health and vigor: I'm trying to figure out which is best - woodchip
mulch or landscape fabric.
It keeps the ground moist - which encourages worms to cultivate the soil; and
you can work in table scraps if mulch, and put the scraps under the fabric if
you're willing to uncover then cover the fabric each time.
This year, I used about nearly 2" of hardwood chips and weeds appeared
soon-enough, as this was not enough, I learned.
Should I:
A. Use as much as 4" of cedar wood chips (untreated)
or:
B. Use non-woven landscaping fabric and just cover it with a thin layer of
cedar wood chips (untreated), partially for aesthetic purposes.
If I go with the non-woven landscaping fabric, would 2.8 oz be good-enough,
or do I need 4 oz non-woven; or 3 oz./5 oz. woven?

If the two choices are about the same, I'd rather go with the 4" depth of
cedar wood chips. If the landscaping fabric is better, I would hope that 2.8
oz non-woven would be good enough because there will be no foot-traffic.

Thanks,
Steve; NJ 6b/7a