nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Pear recommendations for a single home tree?

  • From: Douglas Woodard <dwoodard@becon.org>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Pear recommendations for a single home tree?
  • Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2011 13:51:19 -0400

Jay, where do you plan to grow this pear? What are the conditions?

Clapp's is a couple of weeks earlier than Bartlett, a nice big pear, good quality, fairly coldhardy, not a keeper, highly vulnerable to fireblight. It is grown to some extent commercially here; a saleable pollinator. It is grown with Flemish Beauty (big, very high fresh quality but fireblight prone, not a cooker; dries well, picks late Sept.) near Brockville in the St. Lawrence valley a little downstream from Lake Ontario; just a little too cold for Northern Spy apple.

Among somewhat earlier pears, a friend raved about Beurre Precoce Morettini in the Vineland collection, although from what I hear I think it takes fireblight at least as readily as Bartlett.

Some years ago I identified locally two trees of what I think were
Tyson, and was most impressed with the fresh eating quality; did not try preserving. They bore well with apparently no/minimal care, on the edge of an old commercial orchard (Bartlett with Duchesse D'Angouleme pollinators). Tyson is reputed fairly cold-hardy and highly resistant to fireblight. Picks about three days before Bartlett. Rather small unthinned but not much worse than the nearby Bartlett. Trees available from St. Lawrence Nursery
http://www.sln.potsdam.ny.us
Judging from "The Pears of New York," Hedrick had a high opinion of Tyson.

Among Bartlett competitors I believe Sirrine, Sierrra and Highland (the latter a Geneva Station cultivar) seem well regarded. Bierschmidt has been spoken of very highly by NAFEX members, very thin skinned and does not ship, Bartlett seedling, more cold hardy and more resistant to fireblight.

Luscious is said to be a little smaller than Bartlett, a little better flavoured, bred at Brookings, South Dakota.

Bosc is the number 2 commercial pear here; fireblight prone and not too coldhardy, but very nice fresh quality, productive, good size.

Two or three years back in the archives you will find a discussion of the Harrow pears. You could do worse considering their fireblight resistance; one at least seems well regarded for quality.

Doug Woodard
St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada