nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Royalty crab-apple: edible or not?

  • From: "Dr. Lucky Pittman" <lucky.pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: "'Sarah Kehler Ewing'" <skkewing@yahoo.com>, "'North American Fruit Explorers'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Royalty crab-apple: edible or not?
  • Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2011 15:49:30 -0500

Sarah,
When I was a kid(40+ years ago), my mom made crabapple jelly from the fruits
of whatever red-fleshed/rosybloom ornamental crabs that were planted on the
grounds of the Holiday Inn motel at Auburn AL, that my dad managed.
I have no idea what variety they were, but were prodigious producers of
tasty(to us kids, anyway) 3/4 to 1" dark red, red-fleshed crabapples.
So...my answer would be YES, if she has enough fruit to work with, I'll
guess that they'd make a good jelly - may not even need any added pectin.

Lucky