nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Transplanting Trees and Shrubs

  • From: david.maxwell@dal.ca
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Transplanting Trees and Shrubs
  • Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2011 22:11:54 -0300

Just a word of clarification: there are two distinct kinds of voles - pine
voles and meadow
voles. The former live underground and dine on the roots of your trees; the
latter run in very
shallow runways or tall grass, and eat seeds - and the bark of your trees
when they can't get
better fare, frequently under cover of the snow. Tree guards, tubes, etc.
afford protection
against the meadow voles, but the pine voles are much more difficult to
manage. (I pour
poison bait down the holes near the trunk. One has to go back every day or
two to add more
until the entire colony has been exterminated. The product I use is called
Gopher Doom, but
any anticoagulant based product should work. If I could get it in Canada, I
would use a
product with vitamin D in preference, because it carries no risk of secondary
poisoning.[It is
available in the States]. Other than poison bait in the Fall, I rely on a
large population of
garter snakes in the orchard to try to control them the rest of the year.)