nafex - [NAFEX] Transplanting Trees and Shrubs

  • From: Rosholdt <rosholdt@erols.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Transplanting Trees and Shrubs
  • Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2011 15:32:16 -0400

Steve Herje SW Wisconsin Usda zone 3/4

Sent from my U.S. Cellular® Android phone

Steven Covacci <filtertitle@aol.com> wrote:

> Group:
>

> When is the best time to transplant deciduous trees/shrubs: Fall or Spring? I figure Fall since there will be days when the temperatures are above 32 F. and root growth can, then, occur; conversely, I would expect spring just in case reduction of feeder roots could be a problem during dry weeks, free of snow cover, when further die-back occurs when the upper-most layer of the ground freezes continually.
>

> Thanks,
> Steve - NJ 6b/7a

In the midAtlantic, the weather is unpredictable with sometimes a drought or two, either in winter or in spring. This is then followed by summer heat and humidity. In Virginia, we plant in the late fall, (like November-December for apples) hoping that the winter will give the roots enough time to adjust before the tough summer season.

If you plant in the spring here in 6c/7a Virginia, you have to do a LOT of watering that first year.

Barbara Rosholdt
Central Virginia