nafex - [NAFEX] When to harvest pears: Bosc, Asian, Bartlet

  • From: James A Cooper <JCooper@lewistonschools.net>
  • To: "nafex@lists.ibiblio.org" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] When to harvest pears: Bosc, Asian, Bartlet
  • Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2011 18:04:44 +0000

When to harvest pears such as Bosc. We have a Golden Russet Bosc and the past
2 years we did not do best. So what are your suggestions? When to pick and
then to refrigerate or not until; and then what to do until they fully ripen?

We also have an Asian and it is easy with a flashlight, when it is ripe the
fruit will glow, the light traveling through the fruit easy at dark. The
unripe will be much more dense.

The Bartlet pears are often picked by now but ours are still on the tree in
the Pacific NW. We will wait until the first fruit to fall that are full size
but have a bug in them. These will be starting to turn yellow and are good to
eat with trimming. The rest of the fruit are still green but are beginning to
change from a darker green to a lighter?

Jim
zone 6 N. Idaho

  • [NAFEX] When to harvest pears: Bosc, Asian, Bartlet, James A Cooper, 08/19/2011