nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Transplanting Trees and Shrubs

  • From: "David Consolvo" <fruitopia@firstva.com>
  • To: erican Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Transplanting Trees and Shrubs
  • Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2011 12:47:54 -0400

I agree with you Barbara about it being best to plant in late Fall, but if it
is a
species tasty to voles, then the voles have all winter to find it. Apples are
particularly susceptible. And voles seem especially hungry in February and
early
March.

Moreover, dwarfing roots (i.e. weak roots) make it harder for the roots to
outpace
the voles.
~David Consolvo
Hungrytown, VA