nafex - [NAFEX] Spring Report on Pushing Zone Boundaries

  • From: Sherlock Terry <sherlocksmith@gmail.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Spring Report on Pushing Zone Boundaries
  • Date: Thu, 19 May 2011 20:59:54 -0400

Hi Everyone,

It would be great to hear some stories of how plants are doing outside of
their traditional zones (N or S). I will share my limited experience below.

PF 24C peach-planted spr 2010-all branches winterkilled, new leaves from
trunk.

Hosui asian pear-planted spr 2010-minor winterkill in branch tips, no
flowers yet.

Black Gold sweet cherry-planted spr 2010-no winterkill, no flowers yet.

Oikos medlar-planted spr 2010-no winterkill, no flowers yet.

Maypop-started from seed 2010-mulched over winter, so sign of life yet.

Vegetables:
Occasionally artichokes and cardoons overwinter for me with no protection
other than snow cover. This year one cardoon overwintered out of 2 cardoons
and 8 Imperial Star artichokes.

-Sherlock
Z4 VT