nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Spring Report on Pushing Zone Boundaries

  • From: mIEKAL aND <qazingulaza@gmail.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Spring Report on Pushing Zone Boundaries
  • Date: Fri, 20 May 2011 08:33:04 -0500

This is a thread that I have a lot of interest in. Hopefuly others will
post.

My mini pawpaw grove has the oldest tree in flower & looking totally free of
any damage. The one other tree that I have that flowers has a lot of tip
damage & did not push any flowers like it did last year. Luckily I have
grandma pawpaw in a 5 gallon pot in full flower that hopefully will do the
trick.

I have a small clump of Phyllostachys aureosulcata which started to take off
& spread about 10 years ago, then a -30F winter made it disappear for about
5 years, & then last year it reappeared & pushed my first useable canes
(which I used for treetube stakes). It's now pushing a lot of very nice new
canes. Other folks are saying they need to grow for 5 years before they are
harvested, these cane have died back to the about an inch above the ground.
We'll see how sturdy they are.

As I posted previously, 3 of the arguta males that I have in the ground are
toast. I really don't think its a hardiness issue tho who knows. From now
on I'm growing them in a pot for a couple years before they are put in the
ground. 'Meader' male arguta is the only one I have that has taken.

Not a pushing the zone observation, but a Mazzard cherry rootstock which top
killed years ago & I never got it grafted has turned into a full sized
cherry tree & flowered this year. Are the cherries edible?

Another very interesting dieback was about 10 seedling Iowa Indian white
peaches & selected Siberian C peaches had all their primary buds & flower
buds zapped. The trees are just now pushing out secondary leaves. Other
plantings had no damage, I hope I didn't put these in a bad location.

~mIEKAL

z4b SW Wisconsin