nafex - [NAFEX] Additional Bob Purvis Info on Cold Climate Apricots

  • From: Sherlock Terry <sherlocksmith@gmail.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Additional Bob Purvis Info on Cold Climate Apricots
  • Date: Thu, 19 May 2011 20:50:16 -0400

I wrote Bob Purvis about cold climate apricots in the fall. Hopefully he
won't mind if I report some of what he told me. He responded that extreme
winter cold is an issue but that in general apricots fair poorly in wet
areas without clear transitions from winter to summer (like VT where we can
have a week in the 70's followed by a foot of snow). He seemed pretty
confident about the potential in my area of "Precious," a self-fruitful
sweet pit variety with small fruit that was found in a Ontario ski resort.
He also thought that Henderson+Alfred might be worth a try and also
mentioned that Early Bush, Harlayne, and Sugar Pearls could have some
potential, but could offer no guarantees. He sells trees in the spring and
will provide a list of available cultivars by SASE to 1568 Hill Rd, Homedale
ID 83628.

He has also recently provided some scionwood to Cummins Nursery and they
offered a lot of interesting varieties for 2011 (but not "Precioius"). I
purchased Debbie's Gold from them and put a deposit on two "Precious" from
Bob for 2012.

-Sherlock
Z4 VT

  • [NAFEX] Additional Bob Purvis Info on Cold Climate Apricots, Sherlock Terry, 05/19/2011