nafex - [NAFEX] 2 questions-apples/grapes

  • From: mike engle <speigletown@hotmail.com>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] 2 questions-apples/grapes
  • Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2011 18:22:46 -0400

1) I went to a grafting workshop down in Virginia where we grafted dormant
scionwood to dormant rootstock. I put the plants into pots and have them in
my enclosed patio. I have noticed that all the rootstocks are just starting
to bud and not the scionwood yet. Should I let the rootstock bud and remove
them in the fall/winter or should I nick them now?

2) Curious what people have used for pollinators for St. Pepin. Any web
site that mentions specific pollinators will mention Lacrosse or Swenson Red,
in that order of frequency. Has anyone else used different grape varieties
for pollination?

Pocklington grape update - Chateau-Z in Virginia is using Pocklington grapes
in their experiments with wild grapes.
Check the progress on all their trials here:
http://www.chateau-z.com/gpage.html

Mike Engle
Troy, NY Zone 5 where Spring has only been seen on the side of milk cartons.