nafex - Re: [NAFEX] 2 questions-apples/grapes

  • From: mIEKAL aND <qazingulaza@gmail.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] 2 questions-apples/grapes
  • Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2011 17:26:47 -0500

This is Mark Hart's reply to that question on a different list:

"Just so others know the background - St Pepin is pistillate and blooms
rather late compared to most other northern (riparia-based) hybrids.

I usually recommend three grapes to those that ask this question, but none
are without issues. ES 6-16-30, Louise Swenson, and Prairie Star are all
later-blooming Swenson selections that I believe are good pollinators for
St. Pepin. Prairie Star and ES 6-16-30 have a lot of shoot breakage (my
expereince), and Louise is low vigor and needs a soil that is not
droughty. If you are in a warmer area (winters) you have some more
choices, including Lacrosse and Esprit.

I also recommend planting St. Pepin so there is always an adjacent row of
pollinators, (2-1-2-1, etc.). I know people that get by with large blocks
of pure St. P, but I know as many who have tried that and seen poor
results in some years."