nafex - Re: [NAFEX] 2 questions-apples/grapes (grafting question)

  • From: Dan Nave <nave1@comcast.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] 2 questions-apples/grapes (grafting question)
  • Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2011 21:22:48 -0500

I might suggest rubbing off the buds that appear on the rootstock before they get too big, but leaving one to grow near the graft union in order to encourage sap to rise in the rootstock. This can have the growing tip pinched off before it gets too big. Once the scion is growing well, it can be cut off.

That's what I did for the whip and tongue grafts I did this recently and it
worked well.

Dan