nafex - [NAFEX] rabbit damage to apple trees

  • From: Ginda Fisher <list@ginda.us>
  • To: NAFEX Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] rabbit damage to apple trees
  • Date: Sat, 9 Apr 2011 21:38:20 -0400

Over the winter, the high snow allowed rabbits to crew on limbs of my apple
trees. They have removed quite a lot of bark from the top side of many major
branches, and white wood shows. I really don't want to prune off all the
damaged wood if I don't have to. On one tree, a well-placed scaffold is
damaged, and on another, there's damage on almost all of the parts that were
grafted. (It's a crab apple with several eating apples grafted on years ago.)

So -- Do I have to remove the damaged limbs? Is the bark along the bottom of
each branch enough to keep it alive? Or will it be weak and prone to rot
even if it doesn't die right away?

thanks,
Ginda
eastern MA, zone 6