nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Paw-paw taste, and why bother

  • From: Richard Moyer <ramoyer@gmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Paw-paw taste, and why bother
  • Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2011 14:59:51 -0400

Great discussion on pawpaws and fruit in general.
More thoughts:
---I remember the NAFEX meeting at Clemson around 1992, when Greg
Reighard promoted pawpaws and a NAFEXer in attendance compared pawpaws
to a 'banana dipped in turpentine'.
Adam Turtle then noted that various pawpaws have the widest range of
flavor of any native fruit (implying good, bad and ugly flavors) and
that we NAFEXers should not be put off by one to few tastes of these,
especially wild ones not selected for better flavor.

---In the taste trials I did with college students and staff in the
1990s, many folks were put off with soft fruit, regardless of the
range of taste and aromas available, as our food cultures offer few to
no ripe fruits with custard-like consistency.

---Another reason to consider pawpaws is their superior nutritional
profile compared to most other fruits we can easily grow. If I
remember correctly: protein near 5%, heart and brain healthy fatty
acids similar to those found in avocados and oily fish, starches and
sugars. So a nutritionally dense fruit to fill up on.

Richard Moyer
SW VA

Message: 16