nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Carmine Jewel Taste??

  • From: Sarah Kehler Ewing <skkewing@yahoo.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Carmine Jewel Taste??
  • Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2011 12:01:19 -0700 (PDT)

I certainly wouldn't describe the taste of Carmine Jewel as 'bitter and not
terribly sweet'! They are super tasty out of hand.

The thing with the semi-sweet U of S selections is that they have a lot of
sugar, but they also have a lot of acid in them. The acid means that even
though their brix is higher than a Bing, they don't taste as sweet. However,
they taste much sweeter than the usual pie cherries like Montmorency and they
have a lot more cherry flavour than both the Bings and the Montmorency.

The Ewing jury is still out on whether the U of S selections or the Evan's
cherry are our favourite to eat and can into jam or pie filling.

Sarah
zone 3
Edmonton, AB