nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Paw-paw taste, and why bother

  • From: nottke1 <nottke1@earthlink.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Paw-paw taste, and why bother
  • Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2011 06:13:39 -0400 (GMT-04:00)

Darel,

As one of those "pawpaw cult" folks, I like the flavor and texture of
selected pawpaw cultivars about as well as I like the best specimens of any
other fruit. I agree most wild pawpaws are either stringy, bitter, small, or
have poor texture. But my purchased cultivars and ones that I have selected
from the wild sell for over a dollar apiece at the Farmer's Market, and sell
out quickly.

Other major pawpaw benefits;
- deer won't touch the trees, nor will rabbits
- the trees and fruit require no spraying
- the trees require minimal pruning
- no irrigation required

Jim Nottke