nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Question

  • From: Douglas Woodard <dwoodard@becon.org>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Question
  • Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2011 02:32:03 -0500

Fresh black currants contain around 200 mg/100g of vitamin C, they have a high phytonutrient content and their mineral content is much higher than most fruits, comparable to vegetables. Black currant seed oil has desirable properties comparable to evening primrose oil and the seeds are small, soft and usually left in the jam.

When preserved in juices and jam etc. the vitamin C content goes down to about 40 mg/100 g, and that is with care not to heat and stir (air exposure) too much. It is also undesirable to use iron utensils in the process, though I believe that stainless steel is OK.

Most people like the flavour of cooked black currant products. Ribena
and a cheaper Polish brand, as well as black currant jam are sold in most supermarkets here, though I notice not so much in Quebec. I use Ribena every day, mixing it with other juices.

The British like to mix black currants in apple pies and tarts (e.g. Crosse and Blackwell tarts, which I also like). Our supermarkets used to sell a black currant "crostata" a thin pie of black currants with open mesh pastry on top; very good.

Doiug Woodard
St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada