nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Aronia Use

  • From: Douglas Woodard <dwoodard@becon.org>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Aronia Use
  • Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2011 03:03:12 -0500

"Trees, Shrubs and Vines for Attracting Birds" by Richard M. DeGraaf
(2nd edition, University Press of New England, 2002) says of black chokeberry, Aronia melanocarpa:

"This plant spreads naturally by seeds and suckers. It is easily transplanted to dry or wet soil in full sun or partial shade. Fruits should be collected when ripe, and then dried. They may be stratified in moist sand for a minmum of 90 days at 41 degrees F. to hasten germination, and sown in spring in garden soil (U.S. Forest Service 1948)."

My limited experience of this plant as a conservation plant is that it is very tough and adaptable. It seems to prefer somewhat moist soil, though it will endure in dryish sand.

"Shrubs of Ontario" (Soper and Heimburger, Royal Ontario Museum, 1982)
says of its native distribution:

"Widespread throughout southern Ontario and northward to about 50 degrees N. (Nfld. to Minn., southward to n. Ga. and N. Eng."

Also "A low to medium-sized shrub up to 2.5 metres tall; [habitat] In and around peat bogs, swamps and wet woods; also on dry sandy or rocky ridges and in pine woods."

Doug Woodard
St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada