nafex - [NAFEX] Tordon

  • From: "Idell Weydemeyer" <iwgarden@earthlink.net>
  • To: "'North American Fruit Explorers'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Tordon
  • Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2010 09:10:33 -0800

I think it is important to be very careful with Tordon. Tordon is toxic to fish and gets in the water table (check the Dow chemical website) -- it also is very persistent in the soil--supposedly for at least 7 years so used when spraying knapweed--seeds of which last 7 years in the soil. In Montana, you cannot spray Tordon without an applicators license.  (Tordon is a restricted use herbicide to be applied by licensed applicators--from the Montana State University website) It is said to kill trees nearby if not done carefully (many areas have sandy soil so Tordon moves though). I have sprayed large areas of knapweed and Canada thistle for years using Curtail--(which also has some problems) but I will not use Tordon.

Perhaps the cattails will die with just dilute Roundup painted on them -- Roundup is said to be the least toxic of many herbicides but supposedly it is the inert ingredients that can cause many problem.

Idell in N CA and in N Montana