nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Oikos

  • From: Melissa Kacalanos <mijwiz@yahoo.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Oikos
  • Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2010 18:54:06 -0700 (PDT)

I haven't ordered from Oikos myself, but I found their catalog tantalizing to
read. They seem honest about the small size of the seedlings they sell.
Unfortunately, they seem confused about the genetics of the plants they sell,
and that's what prevents me from ordering from them. Take this
self-contradictory plum description, for instance:
http://www.oikostreecrops.com/store/product.asp?numRecordPosition=1&P_ID=811&PT_ID=82&strPageHistory=cat
"We were fortunate to get the original wild goose plum or one of them from a
noted plum expert in Virginia.
After 15 years of waiting we found out our trees needed a pollinator so we
began adding a few 2nd generation trees next to the originals. After the
pollinator did its job, the yields increased dramatically. Seedlings from
this graft have produced the same good quality fruit-very juicy and sweet.
The story from this tree comes from a hunter who found the seed in the
stomach of a goose and planted it. Since then many different plants were used
from this tree and distributed under the name ‘wild goose’. It truly is
distinct. Ours have crossed with itself and other native plums nearby."

If this plum needs a pollinator, what do they mean it's "crossed with
itself"? Do they mean some of the seedlings they're selling are inbred
weaklings, and the rest are unpredictable hybrids with who-knows-what? And
how can seedlings from this grafted tree produce "the same good quality
fruit"? That really depends on what pollinated the tree. That could be
anything, since they have many different plums in their orchard.

Unpredictability in seedlings is fine if that's what you want, but they make
such a big deal about "We were fortunate to get the original wild goose plum"
that the description is misleading. They aren't selling the original, they're
selling its unpredictable descendants.

Melissa