nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Prunus maritima & Oikos

  • From: "Dr. Lucky Pittman" <lucky.pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: "'North American Fruit Explorers'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Prunus maritima & Oikos
  • Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2010 09:40:43 -0500

I’ve had a couple of OIKOS’ P.maritima seedlings here  for 10-12 years; the one that fruited on a regular basis has now died; it was a small, multistemmed bush, never surpassed about 4-5 ft in height, but did not sucker, either.  Bore good crops of small very tart fruit that hung well on the bush; not much pulp, but what was there was tasty – birds would consume the pulp, leaving naked pits still attached, or they’d just dry to ‘raisins’ on the bush; I might pick and eat a few, if I happened to be passing by on the lawnmower.  Planted at the periphery of the orchard, on the property line, it declined and died after the neighbor reworked his septic leach field, and it became much ‘wetter’ in that spot.

The other plant was significantly larger, and bloomed well, but never set any fruit – I’ll admit, I never really paid much attention to bloom periods, so I don’t know if it was earlier, later, or whether there just was nothing else blooming at the same time to set fruit.  Easter freeze and drought of 2007 damaged it severely, and I’m now seeing suckers popping up some distance from it.

Have never seen any black knot on either plant, and brown rot was never a problem with the one that fruited.

Lucky Pittman

Hopkinsville, KY – about 70 mi NW of Nashville, TN