nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Prunus maritima & Oikos

  • From: Leslie Moyer <unschooler@lrec.org>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Prunus maritima & Oikos
  • Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2010 15:35:18 -0500

On 8/23/10 9:48 AM, mIEKAL aND wrote:
I purchased 50 of Oikos's Dunbar plums this spring since they were mentioned on the list here & it sounded interesting. When I received them they were tiny little twiggy starts with very little roots.
I ordered about 2 dozen things from Oikos this spring and that was my experience with everything I received. I was extremely disappointed with the size and quality of the plants (taking into consideration the prices I paid). In addition, several of the tree stems were exceedingly curly and misshapen. Nothing was large enough to plant out anywhere--I put everything into nursery (tree) pots and expect to have to nurse them along for at least a couple or three years before I'm able to plant them in real soil anywhere. Despite TLC this year, I lost several plants immediately and nothing else has put on much growth at all so I'm skeptical that they will make it through the winter--even in my hoophouse. I will never order anything from them again. I'm disappointed because they have many interesting plants that I was looking forward to trying.

--Leslie Moyer
Shady Grove Natural Farm (market farm)
near Tahlequah, Oklahoma, zone 6b