nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Prunus maritima & Oikos

  • From: David Malas <info4today@yahoo.com>
  • To: Unschooler@lrec.org, North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Prunus maritima & Oikos
  • Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2010 15:15:30 -0700 (PDT)

I bought 3 Manchurian apricot trees, also members of the plum family, from
Oikos this year. They were fully dormant when they arrive in early April. I
planted them and all three are growing well. They were quite small.

I have plasic screen netting around the trunks of each one and multiple. I
tied the plastic screen with kite string to make tubes around the trunks. The
bamboo stakes are inside these plastic tubes, holding the tube about 3 inches
from the actual trunk of the plant.

However, I cheated a bit. I watered all of them with the high phosphorus
"Bloom Buster" type of Miracle Grow or Rapid Gro - more than once. This is
something some experts say is counter-productive and not needed. I disolved
one tablespoon of the Miracle Grow per gallon of water. It's important not
to do this after the Fourth of July, as any later fertilizing will keep them
from going into dormancy later on.

After the beginning of July, I use a drip water treatment for a full hour on
each one.

They're all still alive and growing well at this point, although somewhat
small and needing protection from the rabbits this winter. Problably will
need metal screen from Home Depot around each one to keep them from getting
eaten.

I find the Oikos plants need lots of tender loving care early on. They're not
something that you can "plant and watch." And you may have to get gutsy and
go with your own intuition that defies standard logic.

David