nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Garden Huckleberry pie

  • From: "Brungardt, Sam (MPCA)" <Sam.Brungardt@state.mn.us>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Garden Huckleberry pie
  • Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2010 10:15:46 -0500

I'm familiar with the Schwartzbeeren (edible S. nigrum) and the garden
huckleberry. The Schwartzbeeren can have a bit of a "tinny" taste, probably
from the alkaloids. This is not so apparent when they are cooked. Garden
huckleberries taste more blueberryish to me, when prepared with baking soda
as some recipes direct. I think both of these berries are much better and
less acrid when they are allowed to mature fully on the plant. This means
letting them on the plant until the skin begins to take on a dull appearance
and the juice is purple instead of green. -- Sam Brungardt, St. Paul, Minn.