nafex - Re: [NAFEX] food band

  • From: "Dr. Lucky Pittman" <lucky.pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: "'Pat Armstrong'" <rancher@carolina.rr.com>, "'North American Fruit Explorers'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] food band
  • Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2010 10:31:11 -0500

Our California guerilla grafting buddy, Joe Real, makes a killer pear wine from Asian pears – before it became illegal for him to do so, several years back, he sent me a bottle of 20th Century.  Mmmm; good.

I’ve been drying about 4 racks of Chojuro pear slices every day for the last two week – with only one kid left at home, we can’t eat ‘em all, and I’ve given away all I can to the few friends who care for pears.  Even those that are a bit over-ripe taste pretty good, dried.

I pick up the daily drops and survey the tree for any that are ripe and ready to go every evening, just before dark – if I don’t, the deer get anything that hits the ground.  The big European hornets are starting to work on ‘em, too, so I have to be careful not to grab a hornet or wasp when I’m picking/picking up.

Lucky Pittman

Hopkinsville, KY