nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Garden Huckleberry pie

  • From: "Lori Rizzo" <larizzo@charter.net>
  • To: "'North American Fruit Explorers'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Garden Huckleberry pie
  • Date: Sun, 22 Aug 2010 23:11:43 -0400

The ones I grew were Solanum Melanocerasum - in fact, I ordered them from
trade winds seeds. However, I think they are mislabled as Wonderberries,
since my understanding is the wonderberry was another hybrid. I did buy the
Chiquelite seeds from Bakers and none of them germinated.

I didn't find these tasteless at all - my husband loved the pie, and he is
not really a pie eater. I can understand the 'metallic' taste - I can taste
something in the undertones of this, but then again, I'm wondering if the
reader who didn't like them picked them too early. You really have to wait
for a long time after they turn black to eat them.

Anyway, I'd like to try some of the variations, too. If anyone wants any of
these seeds, I'd be happy to send them on.

Lori

Lori Rizzo, RN BSN MBA
Health Care Quality Improvement
Pet Training & Behavior Improvement!