nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Garden Huckleberry pie

  • From: Louis Pittman <lucky.pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: Hector Black <hblack1925@fastmail.fm>, North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Garden Huckleberry pie
  • Date: Sun, 22 Aug 2010 19:32:20 -0500

I grew 'Garden Huckleberry', S.melanocerasum, I believe, one time(and had volunteers in following years, but we've moved several hundred miles away.  Big, vigorous plants, with large clusters of big, beautiful blue-black berries - with no flavor of their own.
Even following the instructions that came with them - leaching, treatment with baking soda, lots of sugar, grape juice for flavor, and lemon juice for some acid, there was still this really uncomfortable 'metallic' aftertaste to the jelly and pies I made.  No one would eat more than a bite or two, so we chucked 'em all.

Lucky PIttman
Hopkinsville, KY