nafex - [NAFEX] Sweet Sap Sugar Maples

  • From: "Jim Fruth" <jimfruth@charter.net>
  • To: "NAFEX" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Sweet Sap Sugar Maples
  • Date: Sun, 9 May 2010 10:23:09 -0500

I've read the posts about Maple finding some of conjecture, some factual and some amusing. I used to tap 5,000 trees. Now I tap 500. I have learned from a number of syrup makers around the Country.

How much sap you get from a tree may depend on the age of the tree but it also depends on the size of the crown. Forest trees tend to have long boles and small crowns yielding less sap and sugar as compared to yard trees with a short bole and large crown that tend to yield more sap and more sugar. Added to that is trees tend to be genetically predispositioned for the amount of sap they yield. A few of my Silver Maples run the 2 gallon buckets over three times per day while some might produce less than a pail full per day. Some trees, of whatever kind of Maple, produce such scant amounts of sap that they aren't worth tapping.

The sweetness of the sap depends upon any of several variables. Trees with large crowns tend to have sweeter sap. Fertilized trees tend to have sweeter sap. Genetics plays a part too - I have one Sugar Maple that produces up to 12% sugar while most yield an average of 3%. If you have a cold, cloudy Summer your sap will tend to have less sugar than if you had a warm sunny Summer. More................ My Red Maples tend to produce less sap than the other kinds of Maple with sugar content a smidgeon higher. My Box Elders tend to have the lowest sugar content unless they get fertilizer when their sap contains as much sugar as any other. My best sap to syrup ratio was 27 to one but it is usually 33 to 35 to one.

About half of my operation uses pails and half uses tubing.

I'm open for questions.

For some of you Canadian people, you might pay less shipping if you bought your supplies from www.atkinsonmaple.com . Some of the supplies I buy from them aren't available here in the states.

Jim Fruth
Brambleberry Farm Market