nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Sweet Sap Sugar Maples

  • From: Claude Jolicoeur <cjoli@gmc.ulaval.ca>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Sweet Sap Sugar Maples
  • Date: Sat, 8 May 2010 22:04:16 -0400

Here in Quebec City, we are pretty close to the center of maple syrup
making. The general rule of thumb is that 10 taps can produce about 1
gallon of syrup. For my part, I do about 25 taps every year, and these are
about 2/3 sugar maple to 1/3 red maple. Both species are great trees with
very hard wood, but the red maple tends to give slightly darker syrup. I
have never heard about silver maple being used for syrup - it surely isn't
used around here.

About 40 gallons of sap water needs to be boiled down to make 1 gallon of
syrup. And one avereage tap can give about 4 gallons during the season -
some give more, some give less...

For equipment, taps, buckets and everything you might need, if you don't
have small shops like there are many around here, you might try Dominion &
Grimm:
http://www.dominiongrimm.ca/
They are in Montreal.

Claude