nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Sweet Sap Sugar Maples

  • From: Douglas Woodard <dwoodard@becon.org>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Sweet Sap Sugar Maples
  • Date: Sat, 08 May 2010 23:32:12 -0400

Sarah, from observation of silver maple street trees here, they seem quite comfortable on soil of normal moisture for our area. I would not expect them to be as tolerant of droughty conditions though.

I expect they have been used as street trees because sugar maple has a reputation of being intolerant of air pollution.

Doug Woodard
St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada

Sarah Kehler Ewing wrote:
I bought 16 of these Sweet Sap sugar Maples from T&T Seeds this year. Iā€™m
very happy with the trees: straight 3-4ā€™ trunks with some branches and ok roots
(look like they were in gallon pots before having the dirt washed off them). I'm
a little worried about them liking things wetter than normal sugar maples as wet
is not a normal problem for us Albertans.

So anyone have any planting advice like how far apart to put them? And does
anyone have any other information about them or sugar maple stuff in
general... like a good website with tapping info?

I googled them and copied this info from St. Lawrence Nursery www.sln.potsdam.ny.us.
Thanks

Sarah zone 3
Edmonton, AB

Sweet Sap Silver Maple ā€” Acer saccharinum, C. Larson selection 3 to 4 ft. trees $22.00 each, 100 or more $15 each
A special selection of Acer saccharinum that produces sap with a sugar
content of 3 to 5%. (Sugar maples run about 2 to 2.5%) The advantage to the
syrup maker is less time collecting, hauling and boiling down sap. Silver
Maples will grow on wetter soils than sugar maples and they are much faster
growers, becoming tappable in about 8 to 10 years. They are also tolerant of
clay soils. Discovered in Canada by Cedric Larson, and propagated via tissue
culture.