nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Sweet Sap Sugar Maples/tapping plans

  • From: Sarah Kehler Ewing <skkewing@yahoo.com>
  • To: Jim Fruth <jimfruth@charter.net>, NAFEX <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Sweet Sap Sugar Maples/tapping plans
  • Date: Sun, 9 May 2010 08:49:26 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Jim,

Thanks for all the info! You truly are the 'father' lode of information!

I have no idea what the leaves look like (T&T Seeds in Winnipeg, Man has a
picture in their catalogue, but it isn't very helpful being that of a full
grown tree which knowing them probably has nothing to do with what I
purchased!). My trees are just starting to break dormancy (gotta plant them
this afternoon!) so I will have to wait a while before sending a picture.
However, all the online info I found is unanimous that Sweet Sap is a Silver
Maple.

Re my full tapping plans:

1. We have about 200 Manitoba Maple/Box Elder courtesy of the PFRA govt
program (prairie shelterbelt trees for free!) that were planted 5 years ago.

2. I planted 3 gallons of Butternut seeds last fall with a few up thus far.

3. Then there are the 16 infamous not quite sugar maples known as Sweet Sap...

4. I plan to put in a bunch of Unity Sugar Maples as soon as I find them for
less than $70-120.00 a piece and have googled them to make sure they are
in fact sugar maples (if that fails, there are a few places that sell sugar
maple seedlings for a couple bucks each)!

We have 156 acres and no need to actually make money off it so I can plant
whatever I want to take care of/play around with. And if all else fails and
I decide not to bother tapping them, they are a lumber gold mine and my
husband can turn them into bowls, etc.

I live by the motto: The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago and the
second best is today! I'm in my 30's so I have hope that I will see something
out of all these trees.

Sarah
zone 3
Edmonton, AB

Sara,
    I've been making maple syrup
since 1972 and maybe know a little more than some of the NAFEXers.  I tap
four kinds of maple trees.  In order to answer any of your questions, I
need to know what your maple tree leaf looks like.  Can you find a link
online and send it to me?
    If you have Sugar Maple, like the leaf on the Canadian Flag, the tree is
slow growing and might be big enough
for your grandchildren to tap.  Red Maple grow a bit faster and Silver
Maple and Box Elder grow the fastest, maybe (depending upon how old you are)
be
big enough to tap in your life-time. If you have a swampy area,
Red Maple and Box Elder could be expected to thrive around it.  Sugar Maple
tends to grow in clay soil and does poorly in sand.  If your climate is
typical of the Canadian Prairies, you may want to plant Manitoba Maple (Box
Elder, Acer negundo).

Jim Fruth
Brambleberry Farm Market
P.O.
Box 799
Pequot Lakes, MN  56472
www.BrambleBerryFarmMarket.com

Jams, Jellies, Syrups & more
1-877-265-6856 (Toll
Free)
1-218-831-7018 (My Cell)

  • Re: [NAFEX] Sweet Sap Sugar Maples/tapping plans, Sarah Kehler Ewing, 05/09/2010