nafex - Re: [NAFEX] apricot won't break dormancy

  • From: John S <swim_at_svc@yahoo.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] apricot won't break dormancy
  • Date: Sat, 8 May 2010 20:59:20 -0700 (PDT)

I've had a few occurrences like you describe and in all cases lost the tree.  A recent observation leads me to believe that you see this in situations where the root structure of the tree has been severely damaged or destroyed.

Where I used to work, we had a row of decorative pears, 15' in height and well established along the back road.  A construction project to lay an in-ground electrictral wire resulted in a trench that ran very close to one of the trees, severing close to 50% of the roots.  The tree lost most of its leaves that year, then the next year, did not leaf out until July.  When it did, the leaves were small and sparse for a while.  It eventually fully recovered.  I believe that this tree did not leaf out until late due to its using stored plant energy (nutrients, etc) to rebuild enough root structure to support the upper tree.  Had the tree not had enough stored resources, it would not have leafed out - it was a near thing for this tree.

NAFEX web site:   http://www.nafex.org/