nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Sweet Sap Sugar Maples

  • From: Richard Harrison <rharrison922@yahoo.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Sweet Sap Sugar Maples
  • Date: Sat, 8 May 2010 13:05:41 -0700 (PDT)

Sarah,
   Those prices are ridiculous----by my standards. I used to be a nurseryman. If I remember correctly Acer saccharum IS sugar maple rather than silver maple(I grow sugarcane which is Saccharum species----hence "sugar"). I have a "yankee" acquaintance who tells me that even red maple makes good syrup----she prefers red over sugar maple syrup!
   Good luck--and happy waiting! I doubt that 16 trees would make much syrup, though, frankly. Sorry, don't mean to be discouraging---I make sugarcane syrup. We get about a 7:1 cook down ration from juice to syrup--from good cane. Sorghum is grown for syrup in some parts of Canada. It cooks down about 12:1 maybe and is an annual crop.
                                                                   Regards,
                                                                   Richard, NW FL