nafex - Re: [NAFEX] apios americana

  • From: "Kieran and/or Donna" <holycow@frontiernet.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] apios americana
  • Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2010 07:55:21 -0500

Michele,
     About 13 years ago I got a postcard in the mail that said, "Dear SSE member, would you like to buy some Apios?"  It said they were from the LSU breeding program, and I got 4 tubers for $20.  I certainly got my money's worth.  They have not disappointed us, though at times they have frightened us, much like the sunchokes and the bamboo.  I take that back, they are not nearly as frightening as the bamboo.
    I am intrigued that someone said they don't make seeds up north.  That implies that Apios is another one of the native food producers that the native Americans took north.  Donna