nafex - Re: [NAFEX] apios americana

  • From: Douglas Woodard <dwoodard@becon.org>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] apios americana
  • Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2010 01:14:37 -0400

Melissa, I would put it in a spot which is reliably damp, and let it explore the moisture gradient, which it will. Be prepared for it to wander.

Doug Woodard
St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada

Melissa Kacalanos wrote:
Donna,

I'd like to try apios, after all this discussion about it, but it seems that the nurseries that sell improved varieties are sold out for this spring, and only wild-type, unimproved kinds are for sale. What's your LSU cultivar like? How does it compare to the wild ones, which I read can have inconveniently small tubers? If your cultivar is significantly better than those, could I buy a tuber off you? I'd like a tuber from the original plant, not from a seedling, if it's possible to tell the difference.

I know better than to plant it in my garden, don't worry. How much water does it like exactly? There's a squelchy part of my lawn, near a stream, that it might like. I could plant in anywhere from the jewelweed patch, which is quite wet, to the merely damp lawn.

Melissa